Welcome to Pye Bank CE Primary PE & School Sports Website
“PE and School sport is to be inclusive and provide opportunities outside of school by teaching quality lessons, which provide positive experiences in a variety of fun ways developing the child holistically.”
We aim to recognise talent and nurture excellence.
For information about sports at Pye Bank click on the items below:
- PE Policy
- PE Vision
- PE Curriculum Offer
- PE and Sport Premium - March 2021
- PE and Sport Premium - March 2020
- PE and Sport Premium - March 2019
- PE and Sport Premium - March 2018
For regular updates on how #TeamPB are doing, please follow us on our PE Twitter which can be found on this link @PyeBankPE
On top of the enriched curriculum we provide when the pupils are in school we are also able to ensure high quality PE is provided throughout the year. During 2019- 2020, many of our pupils had the opportunity to take part in inter school competitions which were a great success. Pye Bank CE Primary achieved many awards throughout the academic year of 2019-2020.
What is the Primary PE and Sport Premium Funding?
The Primary School Sports Premium Funding is an initiative facilitated by the Government and this funding comes from the Department of Education, the Department of Health and a small amount from Sport England. This funding has been provided to help enhance and improve the provision of PE and School Sport for Primary Schools. In 2019-2020 the school received £19,500 in Sports Premium funding.
What do we use this funding for?
Pye Bank have used this money to work with key partnerships such as the Sheffield United Community Foundation and Arches School Sport Partnership. These partnerships allow us to reach our main focus of up-skilling our teaching staff by “Team Teaching” the PE lessons with qualified experienced sports coaches who can support our staff.
In addition to this we use this money for
- Equipment and resources for PE
- Facilitating afterschool and lunch clubs
- Travel to competitions and sporting activities
- Healthy schools workshops and event days
- Implementing designated Lead PE Staff
Physical Education (PE) develops children’s’ competence and confidence to take part in a range of physical activities that become a central part of their lives, both in and out of school.
A high-quality PE curriculum enables all students to enjoy and succeed in many kinds of physical activity. They develop a wide range of skills and the ability to use tactics, strategies and compositional ideas to perform successfully. When they are performing, they think about what they are doing, they analyse the situation and make decisions. They also reflect on their own and others’ performances and find ways to improve upon them. As a result, they develop the confidence to take part in different physical activities and learn about the value of healthy, active lifestyles.
PE helps students develop personally and socially. They work as individuals, in groups and in teams, developing concepts of fairness and of personal and social responsibility. Through the range of experiences that PE offers, they learn how to be effective in competitive, creative and challenging situations.
Our aims are to:
- Encourage a healthy and active lifestyle throughout the school body
- Nurture sportsmanship in all aspects of competition
- Widen each student’s sporting experience and enjoyment
- Create a passion for active recreation and sport
- Assist students in reaching their physical potential in a variety of sporting environments.
As part of our Arches SSP package, Pye Bank have been given the opportunity to train several of our Y5 & Y6 pupils to become Play Leaders. The training has now been completed and we are the Play Leaders have led a range of activities during lunchtimes and after school. We meet once a week to discuss what activities and games we can deliver on the playground.
The children have responded positively and you can see how each week their confidence has grown. These sessions are also helping to develop fantastic relationships with the younger children and they are becoming excellent role models in school.
At Pye Bank we pride ourselves in having the resources to provide numerous sports afterschool clubs that provide opportunities for KS1 and KS2 pupils. We regularly link our afterschool club provision to upcoming festivals and competitions to prepare our children in advance. We also use our links with our partners to help provide these clubs. We have at least 3 afterschool sports clubs running per week, with clubs rotating age group and sport each half term to cater for as many pupils as we can.
Please speak to Mr Howard or Miss Drake from the PE team if you would like to discuss your child’s involvement within afterschool clubs.
Competitions and Festivals
Our continuing partnership with Arches SSP allows us access to a wealth of competitions and festivals throughout the year. Our pupils regularly get the opportunity to participate competitively as well as just for fun. At Pye Bank we like to offer our children these opportunities as we feel it enhances their childhood and their education. The competitions are either Intra competition where children will compete either against themselves or others in school. Or Inter competitions where children will compete against other schools.
Some successes of the year are:
- Entering our first cricket festival with year 2 children
- 7th in the girls football competition
We have also participated competitively within Y3/4 Handball, KS2 Athletics as well as being involved in festivals such as SEND Football and Sheffield Sharks healthy eating day.
We are a part of the Sheffield Federation for School Sport, which gives us access to organise Girls and Boys Football and cricket matches against other schools within our league, and participate in Saturday Cross Country competitions at different locations around Sheffield.
Pye Bank in the Media
In previous years Pye Bank found itself regularly featured within local and national news. We have had double page spreads within the Sheffield Star, Yorkshire Times and Burngreave Messenger as well as being on National TV on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and Newsround.
Here at Pye Bank we believe every child should be able to participate in an active lifestyle and we offer a range of activities and opportunities for the children to do this. This year we have had the opportunity to work alongside PWLC project to offer a range of activities to the children. These include:-
- Active breakfast – Where children are encouraged to travel to school in an active way and are rewarded with a free healthy breakfast.
- Learn to ride – Where children in KS2 are able to build confidence in riding a bike unaided and begin to understand how to keep safe while riding a bike
- Be Bright Be Seen – Where children learnt about the importance of being see during the winter. This included different types of clothing and lights on bikes.
- Scooter skills with KS1 – Where children learn how to ride scooters with confidence and have some awareness of how to keep safe while riding a scooter.
- Arches School Sport Partnership
- Sheffield Sharks Basketball Club
- Sheffield United Community FC
- Mission Active
- Pilsung Taekwondo
- Sheffield Federation for School Sport
- PWLC projects